Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Entering the big league!!!!!!!

Deciding on the aim
Till the end of the class 10th board exams I didn't know what was my aim in life. School was all about fun, friends and just getting good marks in the exams so that parents let you have more fun.

It was only after the board results when I had to choose a stream that I realized how confused I was... what do I want to do in life?? What kind of a person am I?? These are the questions that cropped up in my mind...whether to choose science or commerce or humanities..my parents got worried..they took me to an academic counselor...that didn't help much either..she said i would do well in any stream I chose...and she added a small line in the end.."He seems to want to help people"....I thought to myself " The 1500 bucks it cost and the long drive just for this one line". But then I thought and thought...and at last everything seemed to fit in like pieces of a puzzle..it was in front of me all the while..... I like to help people.....I love BIO!!! I don't like maths that much.... I love to study..... I admire doctors!!! and my mother too always wanted to become a doctor ...but sadly she appeared only for afmc and couldn't clear the interview...so finally..in a split second I decided I wanted to become a doctor...

All the people said that I would've to study a lot... i knew all of this and keeping that in mind i chose to become a doctor....
July 19, 2010- The prep begins...Coaching!!!
i joined a coaching institute.... seeing my determination and gusto my parents decided that i should stay in delhi...my dad got transferred  to Jalandhar but still my mom stay put so that i could realise my dream.. this further made me determined to achieve my aim... if my parents could sacrifice so much for me couldn't i just do what i did best ...study!!....the hectic routine started two years weekend classes morning  8 to evening 5....no breaks..7 days working...but i enjoyed it...i saw my other batchmates doing the same and thought if they can do it even i can!!!!! 2years of hard work....with small breaks..a medical student can't afford long breaks....For all medical aspirants the line of thought is similar....at the beginning of 11th it is' i have to get into AIIMS' at the end of class 11th it is ' i have to get into MAMC..AIIMS is looking difficult' and at the end of class 12th it is ' GOD!! just get me into a medical college' .... And to top it all i had joined the late batch!!! The batch in which teachers never expected to find good students.....It was an uphill task.... The primary target was to get into the top 3 of the regular classroom tests so as to make it to the top batch in class 12th...... get into the top 3 among 300 odd students was not an easy task..but as it was the late batch...the other students were quite relaxed...so this gave us..the serious people an edge.... seeing a few of us perform the teachers pressurized us...baccho..tum ko aiims jaana hai...and when we failed to get a 600+ score..they said tum ghode nahi gadhe ho.....somehow the first year passed....i managed to hang on to a top 3 position... two weeks before the start of  class XII the coaching ppl called up and said "beta, ab se aap cw-01 mein baithoge (from now onwards you'll sit in cw-01)..the top batch of our branch.....Primary target achieved....sky and i had made it into the top batch!!!!....

April 5, 2011- February 28, 2012- The Final Countdown
Me and sky went into the new batch excited...from batch 5 to batch 1 was a great achievement.....we felt more confident...but as soon as we entered the class we realised....it was a whole new world.....here sub 600 scores were shameful....people didn't look below AIIMS..the students were a class apart.....the topper got 700+ scores...always being a sub 600 student in 11th i was brought back to mother earth....so i pulled up my socks to at least stay in the middle....then the results of the first test came.....i went to the notice board to check out the results... one guy checking the results asked his friend " who is this bastard Akash???"  while i stood behind him.....i looked at the score and amazingly i had managed to get the second position here too.....i realized the batch 1 students were humans too...then on i just strive to maintain my position though there were many ups and downs..... i finally made it into the top 80 " power batch" of our institute..... they treated us like VIPs there...we were made to feel important.... it was like extra pressure..."you have to get into one of the best colleges, because you are in the power batch!!!"... we were somewhat like the face of our institute.....they taught us, they fed us ....in return they expected us to bolster their image by conquering all the entrances with good ranks.....this phase ended...now the boards were almost on top of us....we left the coaching books and switched to NCERT.....a cbse student's bible!!
BOARDS!!!!!!
for a medical student ..the board exams are never a top priority....as getting 90% in the boards doesn't assure one of getting a seat..... so my board preps were coupled up with the entrance preps...somehow i managed to cross the hurdle of board exams satisfactorily......the real thing was about to start now..at school everybody is a king!! we compete with only a few hundred students only.....but competitive exams are a different ball game all together..especially the medical entrances..... there are about 2000 seats...and 2,75,000 aspirants... a 1:130 ratio!!!!!!!!.......cut throat  competition..each mistake can set one back by hundred ranks or more.......
After those 2 years..it's those two months of exams that matter the most....it is do or die.....no retakes, no second chances......it is the worst time to mess up... the most crucial two months of a student's life....
THE Exam Saga...to be continued.....

0 comments:

Facebook Blogger Plugin: Bloggerized by AllBlogTools.com Enhanced by MyBloggerTricks.com

Post a Comment

Open to criticism, and hungry for praise,

Don't have a facebook ID ? No worries ! Comment below ! :D

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Affiliate Network Reviews